Like that double negative up there in the title? I needed to actively negate, undermine and begin the destruction of that stubborn myth.
I didn’t just need to do it for you. I need to do it for me.
Even though I have two holiday seasons under an ever-shrinking belt, I still have to be very AWARE of the fatalistic stories I tell myself and the damaging points of view I validate during conversations with others.
It is NOT TRUE that weight gain is inevitable over the holidays.
It is NOT TRUE that we “should” wait until January 1 and behave as if getting healthy is a first-quarter SPRINT instead of a different long-term and daily CHOICE for our lives.
What IS true…
* every year, people all around us sail through the holidays and reach the end of the year just as healthy or HEALTHIER than they were on Halloween.
* it is completely within our power to enjoy ourselves, spend time with family and friends, and CHOOSE to have October to December be just another three-month period in our year. We can even INDULGE when we CHOOSE to do so.
* It is KEY to DECIDE to be healthier and to make daily choices that confirm that commitment we’ve made to ourselves.
* A cookie or a slice of pie is NOT necessarily what’s going to make YOU less healthy or fatter. But it’s also NOT necessarily going to make you happier or increase your satisfaction in any meaningful way. Take the power away from the cookie. The power is within you. And if you choose to eat the cookie or the slice of pie, enjoy it!
* When we examine what we really want and decide to just take it choice by choice, decision by decision, meal by meal and day by day, WE have the power to dictate what our life and health will look like tomorrow, the day after that and years into the future.
So CHOOSE something that works for you.
CHOOSE something that serves YOU now. It may not be what worked for you in the past and that’s ok. It may not be what works for your best friend, or your mom, or your sister, or your husband or your neighbor.
Just make it something you can agree to stick to, in the long run, knowing that you CHOSE it.
And…(and this is the really important part, so pay attention) if it doesn’t work for you or it stops working for you, choose again.
Just don’t buy into the opinions around you that are disguised as “Facts!” and “Truths!”
That default position of taking on the views and choices of others as “The Path!” or as “just the way it is…” [insert sad trombone/Debbie Downer sound effect here] doesn’t serve you. It quite likely will undermine your power to decide and choose for yourself and to follow your own wisdom or even to keep seeking what WILL start working for you.
YOU can have an AMAZING holiday season.
You can have fun.
You can LAUGH!
You can LOVE!
You can HUG!
You can DANCE!
You can EVOLVE and LEARN and CHOOSE better for you.
Knowing all that…and allowing yourself to recognize that YOU have the power, what else is possible for YOU between turkey day and the end of the 2012 calendar year?
What could YOU do for YOU over the next 37 days if you didn’t put limits on it?
I’m curious. You don’t have to share. But I’d love it if you would.